Monday, April 26, 2010

077: Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (2003)

Title: Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (2003)
Starring: Daft Punk (Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo & Thomas Bangalter)
Director: Kazuhisa Takenôchi

So basically what we have here is a near 70-minute animated music video for Daft Punk's 2001 album Discovery. It has a loose plot about an alien band fighting to reclaim their identities after an evil music exec kidnaps them and dumps them off on Earth. There's no dialogue, only lyrics (which are sometimes REALLY out of place considering the imagery attached).

It's an interesting concept, turning an album into one long music video. This isn't the first time it's been done, but to my knowledge it IS the first time an anime-style feature has been made of one.

I like this movie, but honestly not as much as I like the album. I'd rather throw the CD in and listen to it straight through, letting my mind make up the imagery than to be told what I should be imagining. I DEFINITELY don't get "blue alien band on the run" from it, but that's okay too. Check this out, but if you like the music more than the movie just know that you aren't alone.

Score: 7/10

3 comments:

  1. I can see and understand this viewpoint. It's more of an "arty" concept style throughout which might not work for everyone. It's sort of like watching performance art in a way that's kind of interesting to look at, but hard to understand the choices and meanings if you're not the creator.

    It's not exactly something you'd watch over and over, but more like once every year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a neat video that could help explain a bit more:

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8943495939887017057&q=daft+punk#

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've seen their live action movie too which is pretty darn weird. I'm SUPER excited for their TRON score later this year though! :)

    ReplyDelete