Monday, June 21, 2010

107: Away We Go (2009)

Title: Away We Go (2009)
Starring: John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph, Maggie Gyllenhaal
Directed By: Sam Mendes

This movie is kind of a conundrum for me.

On the one hand, I REALLY enjoyed it. I enjoyed the characters of Burt and Verona and I enjoyed the performances by the actors who portrayed them. I enjoyed the complexity of their relationship. I enjoyed the names in the supporting cast. I enjoyed the plot, and I really connected to the idea of finding a place that just feels like "home".

On the other hand, there was a lot to dislike about this film. It feels a little pretentious and times, and a little too "indie" for its own good. It constantly tries to "out-quirk" itself with every new character we meet. It fixates its attention on the menial while broad themes and plotlines are too often pushed aside. Usually in favor of a meaningless interaction between our heroes and their obviously temporary, overbearing companions. It's a formula that wears too thin too quickly and yet, it's on repeat until the pretty obvious conclusion.

All that being said though, the only way I can really sum up my feelings for Away We Go are this: it's a good movie. That's all. It's got a heart and a charm that are undeniable, and there's more than enough originality in the script to keep your ears peeled during the dialogue. The likability of John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph don't hurt either.

Recommended.

Score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment